Monday, December 8, 2008

Being Contented

We are not to make the ideas of contentment and aspiration quarrel, for God made them fast friends. A man may aspire, and yet be quite content until it is time to raise; and both flying and resting are but parts of one contentment. The very fruit of the gospel is aspiration. It is to the heart what spring is to the earth, making every root, and bud, and bough desire to be more.
Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887, American preacher, orator, writer)

Philippians 4:11-13 (HCSB)
I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.


On our journey on this temporal terrestrial bubble, some find a spot on this tiny ball that floats in the majestic and unfathomable reaches of space, and are content to know no more, or see no more. They can surround themselves with walls and things that they are pleased with, and not question what lies beyond. It is a mystery to me, for on a starry night while gazing in the heavens, so many questions come to an open mind.

God really wants us to be content and secure, and for me, He is the only one that answers my questions, He makes me comfortable with the local things, and what lies over the horizon. If you and I stop on this journey and settle down, we will settle for less, and we will miss the majestic. We cannot live on this earth without ever looking up that is one border that we cannot secure, His Majesty will be seen.

Paul is really giving us the secret to life, it is His unquestionable faith in God. He can be secure on places he knows, but he can also launch out into the unknown. He can feel safe and be contented that, as he says in verse 19 of this same Chapter, “ God will supply all His needs, according to His riches in Glory,” and we can too…God Bless.


Pastor William

No comments:

Pastor William

My photo
Gainesville, Fl, United States
Pray for God to move greatly in "Journey of The Word Church".